Author Topic: May the Fourth Be With You Update, 2019  (Read 28062 times)

Offline Shadra

• Retired one-hit wonder
Re: May the Fourth Be With You Update, 2019
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2019, 10:00:36 pm »
Interesting... I honestly never thought about how the story would be listed and categorized. I set out to write about stage hypnosis, and thought this was an interesting direction for the story. I hope those who enjoy stage hypnosis will enjoy the story regardless of the gender dynamics. At least that's what I look for in a story... the characters come second to the mind control. Perhaps that's just me.

In addition to the above point, a vast majority of people that read the stories that are posted here are never going to say anything, so please don't take a lack of reviews as a sign that people aren't reading/enjoying.

Also, and while this certainly isn't an inherently negative quality of any story, stories/chapters that are over 10k words in length are a bit hard to swallow. The people that regularly review things here are likely reading through a lot of stories as is. For myself, there's a lot of stories that I'm interested in in this update that I likely won't have the time to read this week. While I was going to give your story a shot, 10k words is just a bit too much of a time investment for me.

I don't want to say that to discourage you. If you feel that the story justifies that length then by all means, the story comes first. Just be aware that around here, it may put people off. If the story can be broken down into smaller chunks, I would suggest doing so, and then space out when they are submitted.

Offline KhakiAchilles

• Khaki's Arena Winners List
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2019, 10:05:00 pm »
Interesting... I honestly never thought about how the story would be listed and categorized. I set out to write about stage hypnosis, and thought this was an interesting direction for the story. I hope those who enjoy stage hypnosis will enjoy the story regardless of the gender dynamics. At least that's what I look for in a story... the characters come second to the mind control. Perhaps that's just me.

A couple of things to keep in mind...

#1. Not everyone is into erotic mind control and hypnosis for the same reasons. Some people are more interested in the RL applications and technical details and some people aren't.

#2. I'm not sure if Simon comes up with the greatest one-sentence blurbs for most of the stories. A different blurb that emphasizes the stage hypnosis more might help with bringing in readers.

#3. People who are willing to read MM stories are probably willing to read them for different reasons as well. If I'm going to read a story about a MM maledom hypnotist, the fact that this guy is "wild" is not going to be a selling point for me.
There were many spectacular vistas of nature, hills, and the ocean that far out in the Outer Periphery. You could cruise through the ghost towns left over from the 1990s or have tea in an old-fashioned coffee shop with a Millennial granny still typing on her laptop. It was nostalgic. No wonder nobody ever came here. But it was cheap living compared to the Edge.
-- KhakiAchilles, Ecosystem

Offline Writer345

• Life is too important to take seriously.
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2019, 02:19:12 am »
the characters come second to the mind control. Perhaps that's just me.

No, Stageshow27, that's how I write as well.  The characters come fiirst then I sort of follow them around and describe what they get up too: sometimes they surprise me!

The Mind Control comes second, as indeed does the erotic content: the drawback with this method of writing is that often the story just fades away as the characters stop doing interesting things...  I have a file of twenty-plus unfinished stories on my computer including an MC hive novel that is stalled at 120,000 words and 80% complete...

You may have noticed, but the site is littered with unfinished and abandoned stories - something that I personally find to be very annoying.  I will never post the first chapter until after the final one is written. 
Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere.

er, has anyone seen my TARDIS?

Offline Slanador

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2019, 06:25:51 am »
an MC hive novel that is stalled at 120,000 words and 80% complete...

5..4..3..2..1.. Write!

Offline Writer345

• Life is too important to take seriously.
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2019, 10:10:12 am »
an MC hive novel that is stalled at 120,000 words and 80% complete...

5..4..3..2..1.. Write!

If only it was that simple...
Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere.

er, has anyone seen my TARDIS?

Offline rikimaru

• no drama llama
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2019, 10:39:30 am »

#2. I'm not sure if Simon comes up with the greatest one-sentence blurbs for most of the stories. A different blurb that emphasizes the stage hypnosis more might help with bringing in readers.

Rookie mistake I am guilty of for my first submission as well.  I think for some bizarre reason I thought it would non-objective to provide the summary of my own story.  Of course that's ridiculous and it would be a huge chore for Simon to write summaries for every story, without even knowing the full context if it was a chaptered release.  I recall someone ragging on the description that Simon wrote (likely unbeknownst to the poster) but again...  there is certainly no blame to be assigned to anyone by myself.  Lesson learned!  Write your own summary!

In addition to the above point, a vast majority of people that read the stories that are posted here are never going to say anything, so please don't take a lack of reviews as a sign that people aren't reading/enjoying.

Also, and while this certainly isn't an inherently negative quality of any story, stories/chapters that are over 10k words in length are a bit hard to swallow. The people that regularly review things here are likely reading through a lot of stories as is. For myself, there's a lot of stories that I'm interested in in this update that I likely won't have the time to read this week. While I was going to give your story a shot, 10k words is just a bit too much of a time investment for me.

I don't want to say that to discourage you. If you feel that the story justifies that length then by all means, the story comes first. Just be aware that around here, it may put people off. If the story can be broken down into smaller chunks, I would suggest doing so, and then space out when they are submitted.

I agree, break it down.  As Shandra says, more people will give it a shot.  But also bear in mind, not everyone comes on here every week, and if you publish it all out in one shot, you won't get any exposure beyond that and likely it will get missed in the shuffle.  My stories tend to get updated like 4-6 months on here vs writing it all at once and publishing it in one shot, then being buried in the archive, which only grows larger by the week!!

Also Shandra is right to say that the vast, vast majority of people consume and say nothing at all.  I just started publishing elsewhere that does record hits, allows comments, reviews etc.  It has about 5500 views in less than a week and one comment.  ONE.  So, there's no point at all to write for feedback.  It's nice to get some validation, but don't hold your breath...   

No, Stageshow27, that's how I write as well.  The characters come fiirst then I sort of follow them around and describe what they get up too: sometimes they surprise me!

The Mind Control comes second, as indeed does the erotic content: the drawback with this method of writing is that often the story just fades away as the characters stop doing interesting things...  I have a file of twenty-plus unfinished stories on my computer including an MC hive novel that is stalled at 120,000 words and 80% complete...

You may have noticed, but the site is littered with unfinished and abandoned stories - something that I personally find to be very annoying.  I will never post the first chapter until after the final one is written.

Actually, Stageshow said just the opposite of you, fyi

Offline Shadra

• Retired one-hit wonder
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2019, 11:09:19 am »
People submit stories without a synopsis?

Offline rikimaru

• no drama llama
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2019, 11:47:30 am »

geniuses like me have done it before..   ::)

Offline Stageshow27

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2019, 12:56:09 pm »

Rookie mistake I am guilty of for my first submission as well.  I think for some bizarre reason I thought it would non-objective to provide the summary of my own story.  Of course that's ridiculous and it would be a huge chore for Simon to write summaries for every story, without even knowing the full context if it was a chaptered release.  I recall someone ragging on the description that Simon wrote (likely unbeknownst to the poster) but again...  there is certainly no blame to be assigned to anyone by myself.  Lesson learned!  Write your own summary!

I agree, break it down.  As Shandra says, more people will give it a shot.  But also bear in mind, not everyone comes on here every week, and if you publish it all out in one shot, you won't get any exposure beyond that and likely it will get missed in the shuffle.  My stories tend to get updated like 4-6 months on here vs writing it all at once and publishing it in one shot, then being buried in the archive, which only grows larger by the week!!

Also Shandra is right to say that the vast, vast majority of people consume and say nothing at all.  I just started publishing elsewhere that does record hits, allows comments, reviews etc.  It has about 5500 views in less than a week and one comment.  ONE.  So, there's no point at all to write for feedback.  It's nice to get some validation, but don't hold your breath...   

Actually, Stageshow said just the opposite of you, fyi

Okay first off, wow, I love discussion that erupted here!

1. Well, sadly, I must admit that I did in fact write my own synopsis. Don't blame Simon. I thought my synopsis should be brief, and not reveal any of the content. I realize I'm not actually selling copies of it, so it didn't occur to me that I should be trying to pique people's interest in the same way. This is definitely something I shall think about with my next book. (Though maybe on some level I was inspired by other synopses written by Simon, and I thought that style was preferred here?)

2. (And for others who addressed this concern.) I have actually received some wonderful private messages from people who enjoyed the story. I'm aware that most who read will never comment and I'm fine with that. I was simply referring to this particular thread and the people who like to post reviews every week. I don't visit this forum as often as I'd like to, but when I do, I always love to visit this particular thread and read what people are saying about the new stories. So, on a personal note, I was disappointed to find my story being passed over... specifically here. I have no disillusion over how my story is viewed.

3. I appreciate the tips on word count. I will have to keep that in mind, however I stand by this story and the length. It almost all takes place on stage "in real time" if you will. I could have split it up, but it still would be one very long first story and a very brief conclusion. I try to write self-contained stories as opposed to episodes... but I see why those are easier to consume.

All very valuable opinions. Thanks!

Offline softi

• The Football Pool
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2019, 09:22:45 pm »

I didn't even realize you could for the first few stories, like Melting and Cover.
Lord, help me to be the person my psychiatrist medicates me to be.

Football Pool Website

Offline Shadra

• Retired one-hit wonder
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2019, 09:35:02 pm »

I didn't even realize you could for the first few stories, like Melting and Cover.

I had stumbled upon Madam Kistulot's guide for submissions, which went over picking a good synopsis for your story. Perhaps because of that, I just assumed it was a requirement. I did not know Simon would add one for you.

Offline CuyahogaKingKong

• Burnin' down the river
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2019, 11:23:00 am »
I also thought it was a requirement.  Meh, I stand by it.
https://mcstories.com/Authors/CuyahogaKingKong.html

"Behind (and beneath) your culture creating forebrain, there is an older, simpler monkey brain with a lot less to say and a much louder voice." -Dan Harmon

You. Need. Go. Search. Find. Take. Return. CHANGE.
I have a Patreon!  http://www.Patreon.com/CuyahogaKingKong

Offline neverm1nd

• EMCSA Author Page
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2019, 03:51:27 pm »
I'm digging Hostel a lot. I like how Rebecca is being controlled yet ends up doing exactly what she wanted in the first place. I often find it a little too convenient to have the characters in a story be mc fetishist themselves, but it works wonderfully here. I also enjoyed the local touches. I don't live in Berlin, but I do live in Germany. Some of the German was a little stilted, though. 321, If you need a native speaker to touch up your German, hit me up.  ;)

Offline Shadra

• Retired one-hit wonder
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2019, 05:34:51 pm »
Late to the party with this one, but The Mask Becomes You was such a thrill this week. The revelation of the new power was wonderful, the MC was hot as all hell, and that cliffhanger? Just thinking about what might result of it had me stressing out. Only complaint I have with the story is that I don't know what happens next just yet.

Offline Midori Konton

• Now that I have your attention...
    • Lemma ebooks now available on Smashwords!
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2019, 06:28:09 am »

I’ve been submitting stories to Simon for over a decade and I found out you can submit your own synopsis just now, from this thread.
Love,

Jenny

MCStories: https://mcstories.com/Authors/Jennifer-Kohl.html
Subscribe for early access and extras! http://sponsus.org/u/jenniferkohl

Offline Merry Brooks

• 20's and 30's chorus girl. Twitter @Harleanlook
    • a robot wannabee's blog
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2019, 07:58:21 am »
I started off doing them, then realised Simon was (generally) making a better job of them than me, so left it to him. The one time I disagreed, I emailed him, and with due credit, he changed it to my suggestion instead. But that was a 1 off in about 60 odd stories!
Find my stories at https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/merrybrooks
Find my blog at http://robotunit8.wordpress.com/
My ratings system explained  http://www.mcforum.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=28857.msg437815
Kofi account for review rewards, and general support (disabled): https://ko-fi.com/merrybrooks

Offline whatlookslike

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2019, 08:19:21 am »
I didn't realise he wrote synopses for you... Does that mean he reads every story that gets uploaded? Or at least skims them?

Offline Shadra

• Retired one-hit wonder
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2019, 08:29:08 am »
He definitely looks through them. To what extent I can't say for sure. Which is why I tried my best to get my story in no later than Thursday. Failed on that with the finale, though =(

Offline CuyahogaKingKong

• Burnin' down the river
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2019, 09:05:41 am »
What is the cutoff for getting into a week's update? If I submit my next chapter this afternoon is there a chance it'll make it?

"Behind (and beneath) your culture creating forebrain, there is an older, simpler monkey brain with a lot less to say and a much louder voice." -Dan Harmon

Offline Shadra

• Retired one-hit wonder
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2019, 09:20:04 am »
What is the cutoff for getting into a week's update? If I submit my next chapter this afternoon is there a chance it'll make it?

People have submitted stories as late as the morning of the update. I would strongly recommend against this though, as I imagine it does nothing but put an undue burden on Simon. Generally, I'd just say the earlier the better.

Offline grey_shadow

• Moderators
  • You want pictures now?
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2019, 10:57:28 am »

If memory serves, the recommendation used to be to get the story in around the time the Whats Up Wednesday thread goes up. The actual deadline is whenever Simon commits the update from his end. On the other hand, if something misses the update one week, it'll be in the queue for the following week.
"Who do you serve, and who do you trust?" - Galen, Crusade

Looking for female subject(s) to explore hypnosis. PM me if you're interested.

Forum Creative Links

Offline Merry Brooks

• 20's and 30's chorus girl. Twitter @Harleanlook
    • a robot wannabee's blog
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2019, 11:39:34 am »
I would never send in anything later than Friday for that weeks update
Find my stories at https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/merrybrooks
Find my blog at http://robotunit8.wordpress.com/
My ratings system explained  http://www.mcforum.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=28857.msg437815
Kofi account for review rewards, and general support (disabled): https://ko-fi.com/merrybrooks

Offline Pan

• To live would be an awfully big adventure.
    • My Patreon
Re: New Releases-May 4th 2019
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2019, 11:55:51 am »
Pan's Hierarchy of Needs continues on it's wicked way and I'm so glad to see it back. Pan uses a very original style of mind control here as Jacob continues to change, corrupt and conquer preternaturally gorgeous sister Ashley.

Not only is the story unusual in its methods but the MC and slow changes going on are just top shelf. Pan is a master of this and Hierarchy is one of his better efforts at it. That's saying a lot considering his awesome body of great works.

Thank you for the kind words! <3
Support me on Patreon to read my stories before they go live! http://www.patreon.com/panwhowrites

Check out my Amazon page for all my new work.

Offline 321

• Llamas, I say, llamas!
    • I've finally got a DeviantArt page!
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2019, 03:50:55 pm »
I'm digging Hostel a lot. I like how Rebecca is being controlled yet ends up doing exactly what she wanted in the first place. I often find it a little too convenient to have the characters in a story be mc fetishist themselves, but it works wonderfully here. I also enjoyed the local touches. I don't live in Berlin, but I do live in Germany. Some of the German was a little stilted, though. 321, If you need a native speaker to touch up your German, hit me up.  ;)

In my latest chapter, I attempt to murder multiple languages! :-)

I'd love to take you up on that generous offer for future installments (or future Berlin stories!)

Offline CuyahogaKingKong

• Burnin' down the river
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2019, 03:56:46 pm »
Well I got it in, we'll see.  It seems like some people are keen to know what happens to Ahn next, hate to make them wait.