Author Topic: New Releases - Saturday, April 27th, 2019  (Read 29566 times)

Offline Betsy

• Leap before you look.
Re: New Releases - Saturday, April 27th, 2019
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 03:03:28 pm »
Oh come on, Betsy, you can't leave it there!!!  (I hope!)

Why not? The two main characters both have had their lives drastically changed. They will have to deal with their decisions. Can you not savour that?

Plus, thank you for reading and caring for my characters.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:11:40 pm by Betsy »
Leap before you look
The menu is not the meal
--x--
I am one

Offline Betsy

• Leap before you look.
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 03:10:02 pm »
Oh come on, Betsy, you can't leave it there!!!  (I hope!)

Agreed!

Frankly I’m left wanting a sequel and a prequel... I think it was Lylia that gave us a glimpse of Heather’s humble beginnings last chapter, and I would enjoy that story fully told </hint>

First, see my answer above. And thanks for suggesting a prequel as well as a sequel. My workload is increasing and you want more? Some people have asked me for a sequel to another of my stories and, at the moment, that's going to be next.

And since you want me to write more - thank you for that - maybe I can ask you to help me with another story I'm trying to develop. Do you know exactly how dragons mate?
Leap before you look
The menu is not the meal
--x--
I am one

Offline 321

• Llamas, I say, llamas!
    • I've finally got a DeviantArt page!
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2019, 03:19:43 pm »
What a great update this week!

Gonna start off by adding my two cents to the excellent Algorithm. I loved the battle of wills (and minds!) between Lucy and Tiffany. The writing is as hot and sexy as always... and is it wrong that I kind of want Lucy to win here? :-)

Speaking of love, there's plenty in the air in the always-excellent Blizzard. This was Max's chapter in many ways, and I enjoyed the journey that she took Gene (and us!) on as the story progressed. It's not over yet, Gene!

Shadra's Following Her Dream is back, and what a chapter!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

The scenes in this chapter are just fantastic, and Emma is such a sweetheart. :-)

Hee, I also love that

(more to come)

Offline 321

• Llamas, I say, llamas!
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2019, 03:24:47 pm »

And since you want me to write more - thank you for that - maybe I can ask you to help me with another story I'm trying to develop. Do you know exactly how dragons mate?

According to Daphne, it involves a dragon and a lovely, if annoying, princess:
https://mcstories.com/HereBeDragons/index.html

Offline Betsy

• Leap before you look.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 03:38:33 pm »
Sorry. I didn't make that clear. Mine involves dragons only. I thought two, but maybe there are more? I don't know. Not yet. Don't worry if you don't know. I was just throwing it out there.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot. Today I met my first face to face Heather. Does this mean something?
Leap before you look
The menu is not the meal
--x--
I am one

Offline 321

• Llamas, I say, llamas!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 04:05:53 pm »
Sorry. I didn't make that clear. Mine involves dragons only. I thought two, but maybe there are more? I don't know. Not yet. Don't worry if you don't know. I was just throwing it out there.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot. Today I met my first face to face Heather. Does this mean something?

It depends... did you happen to have a certain helmet ready for her to wear? :-)

That brings me to two more reviews!

A Plethora of Heathers comes to an exciting, hoooooleeeee cow ending this week. I mean, we all knew that Heather B was a tough customer with a "certain set of skills," but who knew that she'd turn out to be such a badass?  :o

The bureaucracy, such as it is, of staffing and running Heather L's operation is nearly a character in its own right, and I loved how she took some time off (from plotting a nasty fate for Heather B) to ponder the logistics of taking on new non-Heathers.

Meanwhile, over in 61 Days in River City it's a battle (of sorts) between fake, real heroines (or would they be real, fake heroines?) and their real-life heroine counterparts. They're all great characters, even Motorcycle Maid, in spite of her mean comments (you have to draw web traffic somehow, I suppose). Only three weeks left in this story and I have no idea how it's going to all come together- but I'm sure that it will be fantastic!

Offline Merry Brooks

• 20's and 30's chorus girl. Twitter @Harleanlook
    • a robot wannabee's blog
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 04:34:46 pm »
Part 2

Paperback

I love the whole sensei thing here, and how it helps Stella, for a while at least. Who me, sign up for a life of mindless obedience, oh please! Oh fine, the treatment Stella gets at the end of this chapter, so delicious. Great barefoot fun.
High end of definitely enjoyed

A Plethora of Heathers

No tie up for Miss Carpenter, or the mature Miss Ewing? Betsy, I'm disappointed in you. Fine, I've wound her up more over this separately, but has to be mentioned here. lets just say its always interesting when things dont go entirely to plan, and leave it at that.
Definitely enjoyed. Personal gripe markdown, lol :P

61 Days in River City

And then to the very tangled web that is Betsy's other story. OK, Sonia and Vicky know how to make a drama out of a crisis, and leave it at that. Not sure they are completely clear yet! Oh fine, I was roaring with laughter at points where things maybe weren't going to plan for all.

Yew and Me

Reminded me of the spy sagas of old, not helped by the fact I've been doing stuff on the old 'number stations' of late. Yes, the 'spy swap' at the end is funny because she genuinely wasnt the one that hurt them. Still, if Svetlana's escapades mean they have a need for a mindlessly obedient 'robot' slave, get them to contact me, in English! ;)
As brilliantly as ever.

More tomorrow
Find my stories at https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/merrybrooks
Find my blog at http://robotunit8.wordpress.com/
My ratings system explained  http://www.mcforum.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=28857.msg437815
Kofi account for review rewards, and general support (disabled): https://ko-fi.com/merrybrooks

Offline Writer345

• Life is too important to take seriously.
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 04:56:23 pm »

Yew and Me

Reminded me of the spy sagas of old, not helped by the fact I've been doing stuff on the old 'number stations' of late. Yes, the 'spy swap' at the end is funny because she genuinely wasnt the one that hurt them. Still, if Svetlana's escapades mean they have a need for a mindlessly obedient 'robot' slave, get them to contact me, in English! ;)
As brilliantly as ever.

Thank you for your kind words, Merry, I only hope that you feel the same way about the story this time next week!

However,   Я сказал "никаких спойлеров"!

As for your kind offer to volunteer to join Karpova's hive, well I'll see what I can do....

Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere.

er, has anyone seen my TARDIS?

Offline Shadra

• Retired one-hit wonder
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 05:59:55 pm »

Agreed. I've read more in these two days than I have in probably a couple weeks.

Shadra's Following Her Dream is back, and what a chapter!

The scenes in this chapter are just fantastic, and Emma is such a sweetheart. :-)

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it =D Emma always had been an anchor of sorts for Rachel, even when she's completely off about what is actually going on, but when you can't even confide in your best friend... why not their dog?

Hee, I also love that

I'm so glad I was able to add that in, with your permission of course.

Offline grey_shadow

• Moderators
  • You want pictures now?
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 06:07:01 pm »

Anne McCaffrey's dragons mate on the wing - the female flies, pursued by male suitors, and when a male catches her, they entwine, and fall, needing to break apart before getting too low to recover, so the higher she flies before being caught, the better. She then lays a clutch of eggs a couple of months later, which hatch after another couple of months. Clutches range from around a dozen to maybe five dozen, but it's rare to have more than one queen egg, and not uncommon to have none. There are also non-queen females, but they're generally sterile (though they still rise to mate, helping keep the lesser males from getting too frustrated...)

I've also come across accounts of dragons who mate in the privacy of their lairs, laying a single egg, or occasionally having a live birth.

Then there are dragons with shape-changing abilities, who may or may not be fertile in their changed forms, and, if fertile, may or may not breed true.

The trouble is, "dragon" is used to apply to a range of different creatures, which have different natures, so you need to be more specific if you want a definite answer to a question about dragons...
"Who do you serve, and who do you trust?" - Galen, Crusade

Looking for female subject(s) to explore hypnosis. PM me if you're interested.

Forum Creative Links

Offline Shadra

• Retired one-hit wonder
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 06:23:36 pm »

Can't speak for any established lore on this, but if you want to go the realistic route, you could always look into mating behaviors of animals such as birds, lizards, or crocs.

Anne McCaffrey's dragons mate on the wing - the female flies, pursued by male suitors, and when a male catches her, they entwine, and fall, needing to break apart before getting too low to recover, so the higher she flies before being caught, the better.

It's funny, I actually just learned the other day that bald eagles do this, at least something similar. More of a mating ritual than actually mating, but two eagles will grasp each other by their talons and tumble towards the ground, breaking away just before they hit. If they die, it means they weren't a good mate. Because logic?

Offline fumanchu

• AKA eviltwinmordred
    • Eviltwinmordred’s DA Page
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 07:01:00 pm »
I hope you enjoy it, Shadra.

Snuck a read of it during break at work xD The induction method certainly is unique! I'll have to disagree with the narrator about resistance, it's better with a bit of struggle, though perhaps he was thinking she'd just be immune after snapping out that first time, or that there would be no follow up for her?

Either way, I did enjoy, and I look forward to more!

Yes, the Narrator, upon his first reading, is pessimistic and fears that Stella, a strong heroine, will be immune to hypnosis for the rest of the novel, a pessimism borne from so many mainstream media disappointments.

Thank you for reading it, and taking the time to comment.  There are four more parts, and I hope you continue.
"The World shall hear from me again."
Visit me at www.deviantart.com/eviltwinmordred

Offline fumanchu

• AKA eviltwinmordred
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 07:08:25 pm »
Part 2

Paperback

I love the whole sensei thing here, and how it helps Stella, for a while at least. Who me, sign up for a life of mindless obedience, oh please! Oh fine, the treatment Stella gets at the end of this chapter, so delicious. Great barefoot fun.

Thank you Merry.  I certainly wanted her memory of her Senseii to be an enduring source of strength

Offline Carefully_Random

• Planned spontinuity every fourth day!
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 08:52:25 pm »
This was the hottest chapter of Algorithm yet. The description of Tiffany trying to resist the machine were fantastic. I suspect I know what her last-ditch plan is, but I’m definitely invested in seeing how it plays out.

That was my read on it as well. If worse came to worse, she'd at least be a more enjoyable mistress.

And agreed, this was a chapter of Algorithm that I've been hoping for a while now.

Thank you both!  I really enjoyed writing this one, which I think may come across. After first draft I added a whole extra piece of naughtiness in the chair which wasn't there before, but I think it helps illustrate just how powerful the algorithm is if the frequencies are setup perfectly.

As for Tiffany's plan:

Had the time to get another story in, and so I went ahead and read Algorithm. I'm just going to parrot everyone else that reviewed it by saying it was wonderful, and wonderfully erotic. How do you expect me to write if you keep putting out must-reads like this that take up my time?

Same to you! Thanks though, and I know what you mean, I don't manage to read half of what I want to each week, I have some catch up to play when I get some spare time...

Algorithm and It Runs in the Family are becoming my favorite stories at the moment. I was almost shaking with how hot these latest chapters were.

I'm honored BigJohn! :D Both for being in your topspot currently and for getting to share it with SammyNona :grin:

Gonna start off by adding my two cents to the excellent Algorithm. I loved the battle of wills (and minds!) between Lucy and Tiffany. The writing is as hot and sexy as always... and is it wrong that I kind of want Lucy to win here? :-)

Thank you! I don't think that's wrong, per say, but Lucy would be a vastly different flavor to either Erin or Tiffany. Of course, Tiffany and Erin would be pretty different from one another as well.  And who knows, from the shadows Josh might be hatching a master plan and just waiting for his moment...

Offline 321

• Llamas, I say, llamas!
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 09:53:56 pm »
Paperback continues to be excellent. I think that most of us can sympathize with the Narrator's fear that Stella- Stella! Of all people! The gorgeous woman on the cover! The one person in the whole entire Matt Gunner universe who needed to be hypnotized- that Stella would somehow shake off the brainwashing after the briefest of moments, and go on to beat the bad guys.

The Society scenes have a great, creepy vibe to them. One supposes that Matt Gunner was drawing from real life when he wrote the book, as the "Du Maurier Society," from its gigantic cathedral to its coded levels of membership sure sounds familiar...

Femdon Mind Control Flash Fiction gives us three new stories, all under 1000 words. Perfect for a big update like this! "Hypnotized" gives us a sneaky mind control plot, "Time to..." gives us a short and fun workplace story, and "That Time of the Month" is about, well, a certain time of the month
"Hypnotized" was my favorite of the bunch, perhaps for obvious reasons, but I like all of them.

Yew and Me continues to be an outstanding chess match, with queens and pawns maneuvering around the Martian landscape and, often it seems, one another. And in the distance, a threat looms? Another great chapter full of great characters and details.

Offline fumanchu

• AKA eviltwinmordred
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 10:32:26 pm »
Paperback continues to be excellent. I think that most of us can sympathize with the Narrator's fear that Stella- Stella! Of all people! The gorgeous woman on the cover! The one person in the whole entire Matt Gunner universe who needed to be hypnotized- that Stella would somehow shake off the brainwashing after the briefest of moments, and go on to beat the bad guys.

The Society scenes have a great, creepy vibe to them. One supposes that Matt Gunner was drawing from real life when he wrote the book, as the "Du Maurier Society," from its gigantic cathedral to its coded levels of membership sure sounds familiar...

Thanks, 321.  The 70’s were chuck full of self help movements that were quite cultlike.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:57:14 pm by fumanchu »

Offline lifmcs

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2019, 02:18:14 am »
As for Tiffany's plan:

Welcome to the Breaking Bad writer's room. "Okay, we wrote 'Walt' into this corner... now how the nuts is s/he going to get out of it?"

"Yeah, bitch! MagnetsMind Control!!"  'Natch

Offline Writer345

• Life is too important to take seriously.
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2019, 02:53:25 am »

Do you know exactly how dragons mate?

Carefully!
Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere.

er, has anyone seen my TARDIS?

Offline Carefully_Random

• Planned spontinuity every fourth day!
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2019, 05:14:04 am »

Do you know exactly how dragons mate?

Carefully!

You called?

On the subject of dragons, being inherently magical creatures I think would work to their advantage. Certain enlargement/shrinking magic in the right place can go a long way... >>

On a total side but related note, a PSA for any adventurous sole who happen to come across two dragons doing the deed... well, based on how long dragons live and how relatively few of them there are, you can imagine that they don’t get laid at ALL often. Sufficed to say the will suffer NO interruptions... you have been warned O_o

Offline hypnospects

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2019, 07:21:20 am »
I forgot how much I enjoyed reading Gifted the first time around (not surprising, I suppose, since that was fourteen years ago...) Glad to see it back and hope that more of the story gets told!

(more reviews to come, but first... coffee...)

Wow, I hope so too!  Wait, I'm the author, I can make that happen! :-)

Please do, love it!

Offline CuyahogaKingKong

• Burnin' down the river
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2019, 08:56:31 am »
I forgot how much I enjoyed reading Gifted the first time around (not surprising, I suppose, since that was fourteen years ago...) Glad to see it back and hope that more of the story gets told!

(more reviews to come, but first... coffee...)

Wow, I hope so too!  Wait, I'm the author, I can make that happen! :-)

Yeah want to echo the sentiment.  Gifted was goid enough that I remembered it fondly almost a decade and a half later as one of the "good mcer v bad mcer" stories I'd wished got finished.
https://mcstories.com/Authors/CuyahogaKingKong.html

"Behind (and beneath) your culture creating forebrain, there is an older, simpler monkey brain with a lot less to say and a much louder voice." -Dan Harmon

You. Need. Go. Search. Find. Take. Return. CHANGE.
I have a Patreon!  http://www.Patreon.com/CuyahogaKingKong

Offline Merry Brooks

• 20's and 30's chorus girl. Twitter @Harleanlook
    • a robot wannabee's blog
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2019, 09:24:06 am »

Yew and Me

As brilliantly as ever.

Thank you for your kind words, Merry, I only hope that you feel the same way about the story this time next week!

However,   Я сказал "никаких спойлеров"!

As for your kind offer to volunteer to join Karpova's hive, well I'll see what I can do....

Обещания, обещания!
Find my stories at https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/merrybrooks
Find my blog at http://robotunit8.wordpress.com/
My ratings system explained  http://www.mcforum.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=28857.msg437815
Kofi account for review rewards, and general support (disabled): https://ko-fi.com/merrybrooks

Offline Betsy

• Leap before you look.
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2019, 03:14:49 pm »

It depends... did you happen to have a certain helmet ready for her to wear? :-)

Er no, I didn't. The meeting was out of the blue and I wasn't prepared.  But I did force myself to be pleasant. That's difficult but I think I pulled it off.

A Plethora of Heathers comes to an exciting, hoooooleeeee cow ending this week. I mean, we all knew that Heather B was a tough customer with a "certain set of skills," but who knew that she'd turn out to be such a badass?  :o

The bureaucracy, such as it is, of staffing and running Heather L's operation is nearly a character in its own right, and I loved how she took some time off (from plotting a nasty fate for Heather B) to ponder the logistics of taking on new non-Heathers.

I tried to imply this response from Heather B was within her character. And I tried to show the mechanics of running such an institution. Thanks for noticing.

Thank you for your review. It seems I've split people with this one and I'm counting yours as favourable.
Leap before you look
The menu is not the meal
--x--
I am one

Offline Betsy

• Leap before you look.
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2019, 03:21:56 pm »
Meanwhile, over in 61 Days in River City it's a battle (of sorts) between fake, real heroines (or would they be real, fake heroines?) and their real-life heroine counterparts. They're all great characters, even Motorcycle Maid, in spite of her mean comments (you have to draw web traffic somehow, I suppose). Only three weeks left in this story and I have no idea how it's going to all come together- but I'm sure that it will be fantastic!

Now that's an interesting question. My answer is to remember English can make words by combining them using a hyphen. So your choice is between
fake real-heroines
or
real fake-heroines.
To me now, the real fake-heroines choice is more obvious here.

As for Motorcycle Maid, she does have to make a living doesn't she? There's more from her later.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Leap before you look
The menu is not the meal
--x--
I am one

Offline Betsy

• Leap before you look.
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2019, 03:34:20 pm »
A Plethora of Heathers

No tie up for Miss Carpenter, or the mature Miss Ewing? Betsy, I'm disappointed in you. Fine, I've wound her up more over this separately, but has to be mentioned here. lets just say its always interesting when things dont go entirely to plan, and leave it at that.
Definitely enjoyed. Personal gripe markdown, lol :P

Oh boy. I've been squirming about this for quite a while now, ever since you took a shine to those two.

References to you are there now as a general acknowledgement of your work here. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable about it, so I'll stop doing it if you say so.

I don't write a chapter a week and post each week. I can post the whole story once I begin to post. That doesn't mean to say I can't amend one or two things on the fly, but, generally the story is finished once I start posting. So I squirmed. Sorry Merry. And thanks for your review, which was more positive than I expected.
Leap before you look
The menu is not the meal
--x--
I am one