Author Topic: New Releases Saturday January 19th 2019  (Read 26490 times)

Offline Merry Brooks

• 20's and 30's chorus girl. Twitter @Harleanlook
    • a robot wannabee's blog
Re: New Releases Saturday January 19th 2019
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2019, 04:46:30 pm »
I pretty much pledge to read 'suitable' stuff under 10K, guaranteed. 10-20K, I will give it a try, but probably has to grab me quickly to continue. The longer it is, the more it has to grab me. Over 20K, very rare I read any, though I did this week, due to tag, and author

Oh, and aided by fact I'm on holiday this week
Find my stories at https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/merrybrooks
Find my blog at http://robotunit8.wordpress.com/
My ratings system explained  http://www.mcforum.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=28857.msg437815
Kofi account for review rewards, and general support (disabled): https://ko-fi.com/merrybrooks

Offline Shadra

• Retired one-hit wonder
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2019, 04:50:30 pm »
For me, the issue is that when I read, I do so just before bed. Anything over 10k and I'm either going to fall asleep during it, or stay up later than I want trying to finish.

Offline Leigh Malheur

• Knight of Light
    • leightopia
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2019, 06:47:32 pm »
Is reading ~5k works at the most in a single sitting truly the max for the MC reading experience?
That depends. Does your story deliver?
If your story fucking delivers, I might read 50k. I might be tired at work tomorrow because of your story, and not even regret it. Adrammalech, for example, delivers. (Personal opinion.) So he can write however many words he wants to.
If not, yeah, 5k at best.

Best,
~Leigh
My stories (ASSTR - mirrored) (link removed for now)
My stories (EMCSA)

Offline Limerick

• I am a llama!
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2019, 08:16:51 pm »
For me, the issue is that when I read, I do so just before bed. Anything over 10k and I'm either going to fall asleep during it, or stay up later than I want trying to finish.

I broke Marital Strain up into manageable chunks for this reason. 35K in one go is intimidating. last chapter on saturday though.

Offline Ice Bear

• My patreon
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2019, 01:53:54 am »
I broke Marital Strain up into manageable chunks for this reason. 35K in one go is intimidating. last chapter on saturday though.
I would read 35k words of Limerick any day.
(That's the author Limerick, not actual limericks, which would probably get tedious a couple thousand words in.)
Though yes, since I'd otherwise read it in a day, my thanks for helping me pace myself. :)

Offline Mr.Scade

• Last seen as an iguana
    • Patreon
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2019, 03:48:51 am »
FOr me, reading on the computer has been my main limit on reading long epic stories, both erotic and otherwise, posted online. Since getting a Tablet things have changed, however, I also work on the computer most days so.... last thing I want to do before bed is have white light blasted into my retinas.

As such, short reading is better. But that depends, also on the quality. There are authors you read because they have sexy ideas hidden amongst the bad grammar - Gettoman, for me, is someone I skim over and get done with quickly. Leigh's got the right of it: if it is quality, it'll be read. It just so happens that there is just SO MUCH stuff to read and watch and experience that our attention must be hooked quickly. Snap decisions, value judgment, all that.

Conversations within the community help a world. Telling our friends that there is this "totally cool and epic story you should read when you can". That the website works on chapters helps a lot. Though, when I read book I personally like stopping wherever I stop, not on a chapter-by-chapter basis. Different readings styles depend on the tools at hand.

But I do believe that longer works have a home here. If it is easier for readers to do it episodically, great. But eventually the story will be finished and found my someone else years after.

Silver Eclipse was the first story I read over two weeks here, after all.

Offline Archibael

• Devotion
    • Smashwords Profile / Bio / Interview
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2019, 08:38:49 am »
For reading,  I prefer shorter if the author is an unknown quantity for me... I don't feel like making an investment in a longer story unless I'm fairly certain I'm not going to abandon the tale halfway through.  If it's a known (to me) good author or the summary is extremely promising,  I'll try a longer one,  but even serials I often wait on until the reviews by others chime in and my interest is piqued.

On the completely hypocritical other hand,  my last several stories (with one exception that was just written on a whim and was more like a joke with a punchline rather than a fully fleshed-out tale) clock in at 10,000+ because I just don't feel I can deliver adequate characterization or pacing much smaller than that.  I've written them in the 3-5K range, but they feel rushed to me,  and I feel like have to use too many authorial tricks and cheats.
Whoever came up with that part of the entrancement is a sick motherfucker, she thought, but the humid heat in her own panties belied her attempted moralism on that fine point of mesmerist etiquette.
-Tribade Stocking Mesmerism

Our eBooks:
Now on sale at Amazon and Smashwords

Offline mr potestas

• Embrace our journeys into passion
    • The Realms of Mr. Potestas
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2019, 10:16:37 pm »
Just a pleasant FYI, it’s a free ebook  :)
Besides the occasional paperback, the vast majority of my work is a non-profit endeavor these days.
Thanks for pointing out the errors, I’ll correct that before it’s posted on the blog in it’s entirety

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post a link when your book is completed?  I for one, would very much like to read the full story.

Hey, here's the link to the full story. https://mrpotestas.wordpress.com/2019/01/28/jip-the-lost-amazons/

Offline Writer345

• Life is too important to take seriously.
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 02:13:47 am »
Just a pleasant FYI, it’s a free ebook  :)
Besides the occasional paperback, the vast majority of my work is a non-profit endeavor these days.
Thanks for pointing out the errors, I’ll correct that before it’s posted on the blog in it’s entirety

Perhaps you would be kind enough to post a link when your book is completed?  I for one, would very much like to read the full story.

Hey, here's the link to the full story. https://mrpotestas.wordpress.com/2019/01/28/jip-the-lost-amazons/

Thank you. Sir!
Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere.

er, has anyone seen my TARDIS?